Site Map | Search this site:

Kapiti boy dies after assault
August 2012
17 year old Izak Millanta has died following his assault in Paraparaumu

Izak Millanta, from Paraparaumu, has died surrounded by family and friends in Wellington Hospital.

He had been on life support after police found him unconscious in a car park at Coastlands Mall, Paraparaumu, with just a graze on his head about 3am on Saturday.

Izak's mother was on a plane back to Wellington to say goodbye to him, but she didn't make it in time.

Two men were seen allegedly chasing the teenager through an alleyway and into the darkness minutes after a fight outside the Retro Bar.

Police began a homicide investigation yesterday and a 25-year-old unemployed Titahi Bay man was arrested and charged with assault.

He appeared in Porirua District Court today and was remanded to appear on September 4. He was granted interim name suppression and was also charged with assaulting Millanta's brother in the same incident.

Four police and two security guards in protective vests were in court today as about 20 people filed into the public gallery.

Izak's family left the court room silently.

Inquiry head Detective Inspector Mike Johnson said an autopsy had been done but he declined to give details.

He said police had spoken to both men allegedly seen chasing the victim, one of whom was now facing the assault charge. It was too early to determine whether further charges would be laid, Johnson said.

"There appears to have been a number of incidents and assaults that have gone on throughout the evening and we are still looking hard at all of those."

Police did not believe weapons were involved. It is understood police are investigating several incidents that may have led to the altercation outside the Retro Bar.

One is believed to include a fight, which involved Millanta's brother, Tane.

Their mother was in Taiwan at the time of the incident.

Millanta's father declined to comment yesterday, but Josephine Tukaki-Millanta said her grandson was heading home from a friend's place with Tane when he was involved in an altercation.

She believed her grandson was later bashed in a targeted attack. He suffered internal injuries, she said.

Millanta was a "fantastic" musician who played guitar, drums, and sang.

"He had a lot of people who loved him. It's going to take a lot for the community to get over it."

Mel Hartman, the mother of Millanta's best friend, Rhythm Hartman, said her son was devastated. She believed the Retro Bar should be shut down.

"This boy has been beaten to death; this has to stop.

"All the parents want the Retro Bar closed down. If they do not shut it down, there will be someone else," she said. She feared there would be more violence as a result of the young man's death.

Kapiti Coast Councillor Ross Church has called for calm.

"This has thrown everyone. It is a tragedy when one of our young people dies and in circumstances like this it is brutal for the whole community."

Cr Church said the matter was now in the hands of the police and anyone who can assist should contact them.

No comments.
Add a comment:

Reload Image
  To prevent spam, please type the numbers and letters that appear above into the field below:


Other stories in this section:
KC News: the Internet Newspaper for the Kapiti Coast